Recently, there’s been a significant rise in the number of people adopting vegan diets, whether for health, ethical, or environmental reasons. As a result, the demand for vegan-friendly ingredients has skyrocketed.
One ingredient that has captured the attention of vegan food enthusiasts around the world is dairy-free chocolate. With its rich & satisfying flavor, dairy-free chocolate has become a staple in vegan recipes, offering a delectable & cruelty-free alternative to traditional chocolate.
Vegan friendly chocolate is made without the use of any animal-derived ingredients, such as milk or butter, making it suitable for those following a dairy free or vegan diet. While some pure dark chocolates can be vegan on their own, some vegan chocolate is crafted using plant-based substitutes like almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk. In the case of our very own Eleven o’one Seventy Dark Couverture Chocolate, no ingredient is substituted as it's simply made from rich Belgian cocoa, sugar & cocoa butter (don’t worry, it's not really butter) is enough to ensure a delectable & creamy texture.
Today we’re going to teach you how to make a dairy-free chocolate mousse using a simple recipe.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Mousse
- 1 cup Eleven o’one Sixty Dark Couverture Chocolate
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut cream, refrigerated
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar (optional)
- Fresh berries or mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- In a cold, metal mixing bowl, whip the cold coconut cream with a whisk until you form stiff peaks. It should look like a stiff whipped cream.
- Place the Eleven o’one Sixty Dark Couverture Chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl & melt it in the microwave using 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth & fully melted. Alternatively, you can use a double boiler for melting the chocolate. Just be sure not to overheat the chocolate (110˚F max).
- Gently fold the melted chocolate with a rubber spatula into the whipped coconut cream until fully combined into a mousse consistency.
- Pour the mousse mixture into individual serving glasses or bowls. Cover them with plastic wrap & refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Once the mousse has set, remove it from the refrigerator. If desired, garnish each serving with fresh berries or mint leaves.
- Serve chilled & enjoy your vegan dark chocolate mousse!
- Refrigerate your metal bowl & mixer attachments overnight. Starting with a cold bowl will help whip your coconut cream best!
- Experiment with additional flavors by adding a teaspoon of instant coffee or a dash of cinnamon to the mousse mixture before blending.
Dairy-free chocolate is a game-changer when it comes to vegan desserts. It can be melted & used as a luscious topping for cakes, cupcakes, & brownies, creating a velvety smooth finish that rivals traditional chocolate. We hope you enjoy this decadent & vegan-friendly dark chocolate dessert!
At Stover & Company we are regularly sourcing new products to add to our robust selection on our website. We recommend that you check back soon to see if we have added any more dairy free ingredients to the line up!